• A
  • A
  • A

What is Stony Brook University’s Federal School Code?

Federal: 002838

The Federal code is used when filling out the FAFSA

What is the EFC and how is it calculated?
The Expected Family Contribution, or EFC, is the amount that the student's family is expected to contribute toward the Cost of Attendance. The U.S. Department of Education uses Federal Methodology (FM) to calculate your financial aid eligibility.  FM takes into account:

  • Your income
  • Taxes paid
  • The # of family members
  • The # in college
  • Net value of assets

How do I go about establishing New York State Residency?
All requests to establish residency are handled by Student Accounts.  You can read about residency requirements and download the residency questionnaire at: www.stonybrook.edu/bursar.

How do I know when my Financial Aid Award package has been created?
A SOLAR System To Do List item will be assigned.  Directions will be provided in the To Do List item detail.

How will I know when my financial aid awards will disburse?

  • Log into the Solar System.
  • Click Financial Aid which can be found in the Student Financial Services section.
  • Click View & Accept Decline FinAid.
  • Click the appropriate Aid Year.
  • Scroll to the term in question.
  • Click View Scheduled Disbursements.

Why hasn't my student loan disbursed?

  • You have not accepted the loan on the Solar System.
  • You have not taken care of required To Do List items.
  • Log into the Solar System to view your To Do List items.
  • You have not signed your Master Promissory Note (MPN).

How will I know when I need to sign a Master Promissory Note?
This information will be displayed as a To Do List item on your Solar System Account.  Specific directions will be provided in the To Do List detail.

I am a graduate/professional student, why have I not been offered a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan?
Effective for loans for period of enrollment on or after 7/1/2012 graduate and professional students are no longer eligible to receive Federal Direct Subsidized Loans. The terms and conditions of Direct Subsidized Loans received by any student for loan periods beginning before July 1, 2012, are not affected by this change.

Where do I go to pick up a refund check?
The Bursar's Office introduces a convenient program for processing student refunds. Through direct deposit, Bursar will deposit any student refund into the financial institution of their choice. Students can sign up via SOLAR. Paper refund checks are picked up from the Bursar's office which is located on the second floor of the Administration building and can be picked up from the Check Disbursement window number eight.  Available refund checks and processed Direct Deposit refunds will be displayed on the SOLAR System listed under Account Activity listed in the Student Financial Aid Services section.

How are Federal Work-Study funds awarded?
Federal Work-Study is a form of need based aid.  In order to be considered for this program you must file your FAFSA by April 1st.  Since there is only a limited amount of funds available, students are encouraged to file their FAFSA as early as possible.

How do I find an on campus job?
See Glenda Mitchell in the Student Services/Financial Aid Office in room 148 Rockland Hall, in the School of Dental Medicine. A complete listing of all SDM-campus jobs is available on the Solar System. 

For complete instructions and forms please visit the Request for Re-evaluation page on our web site.

I need proof of enrollment to qualify for an in-school deferment or to provide to my parent's health insurance provider.  How can I get this form?
Log into the Solar System.  Click Enrollment under the Student Records & Registration section.  Click Enrollment Verification.  This document should be sent to your lender or loan servicer.

How can I get advice on loan consolidation?
If you need information on loan consolidation the best place to look for information is on the Federal Student Aid Web Site.