A Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine Pre-Dental Course
2020 Program Dates to be Announced
Applications are currently being accepted for the 2020 program.
Director: Jeffrey Seiver, DDS
Department: Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's Department of General Dentistry
Course Overview: This intensive introductory course is designed for pre-dental undergraduate college students and students considering the dental profession. Working in Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's advanced pre-clinical laboratory, participating students will gain valuable hands-on experience and will discover what the preclinical courses of dental school are truly like. With the assistance of faculty and current students, this 5-day course will help to enlighten you and confirm your interest in dentistry.
The course will include:
- Making Typodont impressions and pour them in stone
- Use of high-speed dental handpiece and other dental instruments
- Preparation of cavity restorations
- Milling a CAD CAM porcelain restoration with E4D
- Model a central incisor in wax
- Participation in dental specialty boot camp
- Lunch with faculty and current students
- Meeting the Director of Admissions
This program is open to students outside of Stony Brook University. There are 60 positions in this program that will be filled on a rolling basis and early submission is highly suggested.
The 2020 program is currently accepting applications: Click here to apply.
Please have the following information before you begin your application:
- Age eligibility: 18 years of age by December 1, 2019
- The name of your current university
- Your overall GPA
- Your science GPA
- Your expected graduation date
- Your letter of recommendation, accepted in PDF format only. A letter of recommendation can be from a professor, pre-health advisor, employer, or someone you have shadowed.
- Your 500-word personal statement inclusive of your interest in the healthcare field, accepted in PDF format only.
Payment Information and Fees:
- Non-refundable Application Fee of $50 provided at the end of the application
- $1900 in residence (includes breakfast 5 days, lunch 4 days and dinner 5 days)
- $1400 commuter (includes breakfast 5 days, lunch 4 days and dinner 5 days)
- Application Deadline: April 1, 2020
- Upcoming program dates: Sunday, July 26th - Friday, July 31st, 2020
Discover Dental School Program Overview Presentation
2018 Discover Dental School Highlight Slideshow
Jeffrey Seiver, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director, Discover Dental School Summer Scholar Program
Phone: (631) 632-8986