A Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine Pre-Dental Course
2021 Program Cancelation:
Out of an abundance of caution and in recognition of CDC and New York State Department of Health guidelines surrounding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), the Discover Dental School Summer Scholars’ Program will not be held in 2021. For additional information on the program, contact Dr. Jeffrey Seiver, Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director: Jeffrey Seiver, DDS
Department: Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's Department of General Dentistry
Course Overview: This intensive introductory course is designed for pre-dental undergraduate college students and students considering the dental profession. Working in Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's advanced pre-clinical laboratory, participating students will gain valuable hands-on experience and will discover what the preclinical courses of dental school are truly like. With the assistance of faculty and current students, this 5-day course will help to enlighten you and confirm your interest in dentistry.
The course will include:
- Making Typodont impressions and pour them into stone
- Use of high-speed dental handpiece and other dental instruments
- Preparation of cavity restorations
- Milling a CAD-CAM porcelain restoration with E4D
- Model a central incisor in wax
- Participation in dental specialty boot camp
- Lunch with faculty and current students
- Meeting the Director of Admissions
This program is open to students outside of Stony Brook University. There are 60 positions in this program that will be filled on a rolling basis and early submission is highly suggested.
Dates for the acceptance of applications for the 2022 program will be announced in the future.
Please have the following information before you begin your application:
- Age eligibility: 18 years of age by December 1, 2022
- The name of your current university
- Your overall GPA
- Your science GPA
- Your expected graduation date
- Your letter of recommendation, accepted in PDF format only. A letter of recommendation can be from a professor, pre-health advisor, employer, or someone you have shadowed.
- Your 500-word personal statement inclusive of your interest in the healthcare field, accepted in PDF format only.
Payment Information and Fees:
Please note that specific payment information and fees will be provided closer to the 2022 program application process opening.
- Non-refundable Application Fee provided at the end of the application
- Resident tuition (includes breakfast 5 days, lunch 4 days, and dinner 5 days) or commuter tuition (includes breakfast 5 days, lunch 4 days, and dinner 5 days)
- Application Deadline: 2022 application deadline will be announced in the future
- Upcoming program dates: 2022 dates will be announced in the future
Discover Dental School Program Overview Presentation
2018 Discover Dental School Highlight Slideshow
Jeffrey Seiver, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director, Discover Dental School Summer Scholar Program
Phone: (631) 632-8986