Join Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's Pre-Dental Course in 2024
Dates: Sunday, July 21, 2024 – Friday, July 26, 2024
Department: Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's Department of General Dentistry
Registration for the 2024 Discover Dental School Summer Scholars Program is now closed.
This academic enrichment program is designed for all individuals who are considering a career in dentistry. Working in Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's advanced preclinical laboratory, participating students will gain valuable hands-on experience and will discover what the preclinical courses of dental school are truly like. With the assistance of faculty and current students, this five-day program will help to enlighten you and confirm your interest in dentistry.
The course will include:
- Making Typodont impressions and pour them into stone
- Use of high-speed dental handpiece and other dental instruments
- Preparation of cavity restorations
- Milling a CAD/CAM porcelain restoration with 3Shape TRIOS®
- Model a central incisor in wax
- Participation in full-day dental specialty boot camp
- Lunch with current students, faculty and administration
- Meeting the director of admissions
This program is open to all individuals who are considering a career in dentistry. There are 60 positions that will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis and early submission is highly suggested.
Dates for the acceptance of applications for the 2024 program will be announced in the future.
Please have the following information before you begin your application:
- Age eligibility: 18 years of age by December 1, 2023
- The name of your current university
- Your overall GPA (self-reported)
- Your science GPA (self-reported)
- Your expected graduation date
- Your letter of recommendation, accepted in PDF format only. A letter of recommendation can be from a professor, prehealth advisor, employer, or someone you have shadowed.
- Your 500-word personal statement inclusive of your interest in the healthcare field, accepted in PDF format only.
Payment Information and Fees
Please note that the tuition and fees for 2024 Discover Dental School are currently under review. Additional details will be provided closer to the 2024 program application process opening.
- Resident tuition: $1,900 (includes lodging in university housing, use of all facilities, supplies, evening leisure activities and meals)
- Commuter tuition: $1,400 (includes use of all facilities, supplies, evening leisure activities and meals)
- $50 non-refundable application fee to be paid upon submission
Discover Dental School Program overview presentation
2018 Discover Dental School Highlight Slideshow
Jeffrey Seiver, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director, Discover Dental School Summer Scholar Program
Phone: (631) 632-8986