A Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine Pre-Dental Course
2020 Program Dates to be Announced
Applications will begin to be accepted in November 2019.
Director: Jeffrey Seiver, DDS
Department: Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's Department of General Dentistry
Course Overview: This intensive introductory course is designed for pre-dental undergraduate college students and students considering the dental profession. Working in Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine's advanced pre-clinical laboratory, participating students will gain valuable hands-on experience and will discover what the preclinical courses of dental school are truly like. With the assistance of faculty and current students, this 5-day course will help to enlighten you and confirm your interest in dentistry.
The course will include:
- Making Typodont impressions and pour them in stone
- Use of high-speed dental handpiece and other dental instruments
- Preparation of cavity restorations
- Milling a CAD CAM porcelain restoration with E4D
- Model a central incisor in wax
- Participation in dental specialty boot camp
- Lunch with faculty and current students
- Meeting the Director of Admissions
This program is open to students outside of Stony Brook University. There are 60 positions in this program that will be filled on a rolling basis and early submission is highly suggested.
The 2020 program will begin accepting applications on November 1st, 2019. Click here to apply.
Please have the following information before you begin your application:
- Age eligibility: 18 years of age by December 1, 2019
- The name of your current university
- Your overall GPA
- Your science GPA
- Your expected graduation date
- Your letter of recommendation, accepted in PDF format only. A letter of recommendation can be from a professor, pre-health advisor, employer, or someone you have shadowed.
- Your 500-word personal statement inclusive of your interest in the healthcare field, accepted in PDF format only.
Payment Information and Fees:
- Non-refundable Application Fee of $50 provided at the end of the application
- $1900 in residence (includes breakfast 5 days, lunch 4 days and dinner 5 days)
- $1400 commuter (includes breakfast 5 days, lunch 4 days and dinner 5 days)
- 2020 Program will accept applications on November 1st, 2019
- Application Deadline: April 1, 2020
- 2020 Program dates will be announced in coming months
Discover Dental School Program Overview Presentation
2018 Discover Dental School Highlight Slideshow
Jeffrey Seiver, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director, Discover Dental School Summer Scholar Program
Phone: (631) 632-8986